Monday, August 27, 2018
By Carol  Simenson
How to safely kill mold

Mold is a common problem that homeowners deal with. It can cause damage, provoke allergies and other health issues. In order to safely kill the mold in your home, you must identify the source first. It could be anything from condensation to plumbing or roof leaks. It is crucial to properly repair the source to prevent further growth. Once that is done, here is one way you can safely kill the existing mold:

  • Spray a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution from a bottle onto the moldy surface.
  • Leave on for about 10 minutes.
  • Scrub clean, then wipe with a damp cloth.
  • Store bottle in dark area to maintain potency of hydrogen peroxide.
  • Hydrogen peroxide can have a mild bleaching effect, so always do a test spot first, especially on fabrics.

You can also try using vinegar to safely kill small mold outbreaks. Here is how:

  • Wear a mask and gloves to protect you from exposure to mold.
  • Use plain white distilled vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle without diluting it. 
  • Spray the vinegar directly on the mold and let it set for an hour.
  • Wipe area clean with water and allow to dry. The smell of vinegar will fade within a few hours.

Testing for mold is generally not needed if you can see and smell the mold. However, it may be a good idea to have a thorough inspection done to determine the source of the mold in your home. For a list of trusted professionals who can test your home for mold, contact Dakota Carol and Your Home Solution Team at 701-595-0040.

Back